BraveTart spotlights classic American desserts with flair
James Beard award nominee and pastry chef Stella Parks joined New Day to share several recipes from her new cookbook, BraveTart, which features more than one hundred recipes that celebrate classic American desserts.
Catch Stella at these upcoming events:
- Tonight (Thursday, October 5th), 6:00 pm at Hot Stove Society (2000 4th Ave, Seattle, WA, 98121 / Ticketed demo class with treats and book signing.
- Sunday, October 8th, 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm at Island Books (3014 78th Ave SE, Mercer Island, WA 98040 / Talk & book signing)
Here's the recipe for the thick and fruity food processor whipped cream Stella prepared on the show:
- 1/2 ounce freeze-dried blueberries, raspberries, or other fruit (1/2 cup; 15g) (see note above)
- 1 3/4 ounces sugar (1/4 cup; 50g)
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream (2 cups; 455g)
- In the bowl of a food processor, grind freeze-dried fruit and sugar until powdery and fine, about 1 minute.
- Add cream and stir with a fork to be sure no dry pockets of sugar/fruit are stuck in the corners, then pulse until thick and creamy like Greek yogurt, less than 2 minutes.
- The time will vary with the horsepower of your machine, so watch it like a hawk to avoid making fruity butter by mistake.
- Once mixture is thick and creamy, enjoy immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 1 week.